If you are contacted by the police, kindly obtain the name and phone number of the detective or investigator. Please advise the officer that you do not wish to make any statements until you speak with a lawyer. As criminal defense lawyers in Macomb County, we can provide you with immediate representation for criminal investigations. We will make sure that you do not make common mistakes like making incriminating statements that will lead to serious criminal charges. In addition, we also know that the police use tactics to get you to cooperate or take a polygraph.Types of Crimes
Crimes are classified as misdemeanors or felonies.
- Misdemeanor: A crime punishable by up to one (1) year in the county jail. All misdemeanors are handled in the district or municipal courts.
- Felony: A crime punishable by more than one (1) year up to life in the state prison. After preliminary examination, all further proceedings for felony cases are handled in the circuit court.
We have cited case results where we have achieved not guilty verdicts, outright dismissals or where a felony is reduced to a misdemeanor. Avoidance of a felony conviction is an important goal and can be a huge victory because a person convicted of a felony can lose many rights including:
- The right to become an elector and cannot vote, hold public office, or run for office
- Disqualified from jury service for seven years
- The ability to have firearms
- Employment opportunities or ability to hold a professional license or permit
- Travel restrictions to other countries including Mexico and Canada
Take a look at this video which explains why you should not talk to the police.
If you need a Macomb County criminal defense attorney for a criminal investigation, warrant, recent arrest or if you have been contacted by the police or have received a court date notice: Contact the ABDO LAW FIRM for a free consultation and legal representation.