Cy Matthew AbdoPartner
Since 1980, Cy Matthew Abdo has practiced law in courtrooms throughout Michigan while maintaining his headquarters in Macomb County. Cy has earned every top tier national rating, including the coveted AVVO Superb Attorney rating.
Whether working on his own cases, collaborating with a team of lawyers, or acting as a consultant for the media or other law firms, Cy has handled well over 10,000 criminal cases in over four decades. The Abdo Law Firm is equipped to handle all criminal, felony, misdemeanor, drunk driving, and juvenile cases in the counties of Macomb, Oakland, Wayne, and St. Clair.
The Abdo Law Firm changed how I look at lawyers.
In 2010, Cy’s son, Matthew Sherman Abdo, graduated Magna Cum Laude from Michigan State University College of Law. That same year, Matthew (“Matty”) joined his father and together they re-founded the Abdo Law Firm and made it one of the best criminal defense firms in the State of Michigan.
Matthew, All I can say is that you're an awesome attorney and outstanding person. You helped me through a very difficult time. The outcome in court was more than I expected. I cannot tell you how fortunate I was retaining you as my attorney the day after my arrest.
Matthew used state-of-the-art technology to modernize the firm and make it an efficient criminal defense machine. Matthew treated everyone that walked through the door at the Abdo Law Firm with respect and as an equal. It was not long before he was recognized as one of the youngest lawyers to earn AVVO’s Superb rating and a designation as a Super Lawyer. Matthew passed away in 2022 but not before establishing himself as a masterful criminal defense lawyer and a man of the arts, music, travel and someone that was loved by everyone that he touched. Matthew’s business model of empathy, genuine enthusiasm, patience, and kindheartedness for each client continues to thrive at the Abdo Law Firm.Professional Background
In 1995, and each year thereafter, Cy has earned every top national rating and is listed in the Register of Preeminent Lawyers as one of the best lawyers in the United States. Cy’s ratings shows that he has reached the height of professional excellence, has practiced for many years and is recognized for the highest levels of skill and integrity by judges and members of the legal community. The list of Cy’s accomplishments is unmatched:
- 1977, Michigan State University, Bachelor of Arts, Cum Laude
- 1980, Western Michigan University, Cooley Law School, Juris Doctor
- 1995 - Present, Highest Martindale Hubbell Peer Rating (AV)
- AVVO Superb Attorney Rating
- Super Lawyer, Criminal Law
- Super Lawyer, Drunk Driving
- Voted Top Criminal and DUI Lawyer by dbusiness
- Macomb County Bar Association
- United States District Court, Eastern District for the State of Michigan
- Author, “Closing Arguments”, a practice guide
- Formerly with the Michigan Attorney General’s Office in Lansing
The Abdo Law Firm has also proudly acted as a consultant for other Michigan law Firms, the media, and has mentored dozens of attorneys that have become successful criminal defense attorneys in Michigan and other states.
Cy’s reputation is backed up by 1,000’s of exemplary case results. One size does not fit all, and each case is unique. Cy says that there are times when he adopts a philosophy to hit hard and fast to get a client out of the criminal justice system. In other cases, the focus may be to take longer strides to get the best possible outcome. Here a few of Cy’s notable case results:
- ASSAULT WITH INTENT TO MURDER: Not guilty verdict. Juyry trial held in the Macomb County Circuit Court.
- RETAIL FRAUD: 100% success rate getting first offense retail fraud offenses dismissed in Macomb County.
- OWI WITH HIGH BAC >17 DISMISSED: You don’t have to be found guilty just because you did the crime. ABDO LAW can get your OWI with a high BAC reduced to avoid the BAIID device and long period of license sanctions.
- DOMESTIC VIOLENCE: High success rate in getting domestic violence dismissed if victim is in agreement and case is handled delicately.
- CARJACKING, UNARMED ROBBERY DISMISSED: Cell phone tower records, DNA and other evidence uncovered exonerated our client of any wrongdoing based upon misidentification.
- JUVENILE REPRESENTION: Over 90% of juvenile cases have been dismissed on our watch.
- DISORDERLY CONDUCT: HUNDREDS of disorderly conduct cases dismissed including public urination, public intoxication and noise disturbance cases.
- STALKING, MDOP DISMISSED: Handwriting analysis proved our client was innocent and was framed by the alleged “victim”.
- EMBEZZLEMENT FELONY DISMISSED: Case dismissed upon payment of restitution and successful completion of 6-month term of probation.
- CSC 3rd DEGREE DISMISSED: Alleged victim was discredited at the preliminary examination.
- DRUNK DRIVING: Not guilty verdict by jury who could not find Defendant guilty beyond a reasonable doubt (Eastpointe). Other drunk driving cases dismissed because of flimsy evidence, illegal traffic stops, and failure to prove “operation” of a motor vehicle.
- EMBEZZLEMENT ABOVE $20,000.00 DISMISSED: Embezzlement of more than $20,000.00 dismissed after compliance with diversion program in Detroit.
- ASSAULT WITH A DANGEROUS WEAPON: Numerous dismissals of felony assault with a dangerous weapon with no felony record, no jail and no trial.
- ASSAULT WITH INTENT TO DO GREAT BODILY HARM: Dismissed before trial.
- UTTERING & PUBLISHING: Routine dismissals of uttering and publishing which carries up to 14 years in prison with no felony record, no jail and no trial.
- TSA, CHECKPOINT VIOLATIONS: Routine dismissals for clients charged with possession of a weapon or firearm at airport checkpoint in Romulus.
- CSC: Dismissed after holding preliminary examination based upon issue of consent in 42-2 District Court in New Baltimore.
- DRUNK DRIVING FELONY 3rd OFFENSE: Dismissed and reduced to misdemeanor with no jail in every Macomb County District Court.
- NO JAIL FOR CLIENT FACING LIFE IN PRISON: Probation granted in Macomb County for our Client that was facing prison time and had an extensive prior felony record.
- TERRORISM, NO RECORD, NO JAIL TIME: Case closed without client serving a day in jail or ending up with a record (ABDO LAW has the know-how for cases involving serious sentences, media attention, multiple jurisdictions, and sensitive issues).
- DRUNK DRIVING: Numerous DUI cases DROPPED or REDUCED with NO JAIL & NO LOSS OF LICENSE when the evidence is weak, the prosecutor cannot clearly prove the elements of the crime or the client is a good candidate for reduction or dismissal of the charge(s).
- ARMED ROBBERY: Dismissed on the issue of misidentification at preliminary examination.
- CARRYING A CONCEALED WEAPON: 100% success rate in getting felony CCW reduced to a misdemeanor in Macomb County with no prior record or minor prior record.
- 1,000’s of CASES DISMISSED: Successful resolution of felony and misdemeanor criminal matters in every Macomb County District Court including: 37th District (Warren), 38th District (Eastpointe), 39th District (Roseville/Fraser), 40th District (St. Clair Shores), 41A District (Sterling Heights), 41A District (Shelby Township/Utica/Macomb Township), 41B District (Clinton Township/Harrison Township, Mount Clemens), 42-1 District (Romeo/Washington Township), and the 42-2 District (New Baltimore/Chesterfield Township).
Handling criminal cases does not always mean that the case is going to trial or that the attorney will be fist fighting with the prosecutor and the police. Statistically, less than 10% of all criminal cases go to trial. This means that the system is not geared for trials and that more than 90% of all criminal cases in the United States are resolved before trial. This is also why you want a law firm like Abdo Law that practices law with tactful diplomacy, a network of relationships in the criminal justice system and proven winning defense strategies to get the best possible result.
J.D., Thomas M. Cooley Law School, 1980
B.A., Michigan State University, 1977