Joseph A. Campbell
JOSEPH A. CAMPBELL is an attorney specializing in criminal and drunk driving defense law throughout Metro Detroit and the state of Michigan.
Growing up in Macomb and Wayne County, Joseph A. Campbell is a passionate advocate for the people within Metro Detroit’s diverse communities. Joseph graduated with his B.A. in Social Relations and Policy from James Madison College at Michigan State University, and then went on to graduate at the top of his class from Wayne State University Law School. While at Wayne Law, Joseph was elected by his peers to serve as Student Governor for the class of 2017. Prior to graduating from law school, Joseph served as a judicial intern for the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan.
As an criminal defense attorney at ABDO LAW, Joseph has spearheaded misdemeanor, felony and juvenile matters as well as drug crimes, drunk driving and public policy cases (false threat of terrorism, assault by strangulation) that resulted in favorable dispositions. His most recent projects involve:
- Sterling Heights: Arguing the issue of "possession" on behalf of a client charged with a drug crime that was merely a passenger in a vehicle.
- Clinton Township: Successfully advocating for a client to receive a lighter sentence on repeat DUI, avoiding jail and harsh terms of probation.
- Macomb Juvenile Court: Authoring a successful deviation request in a Macomb County juvenile terrorism case which resulted in reducing the charge from a felony to a misdemeanor. In a second such case, obtaining a consent calendar dispositioin which will result in NO criminal record for the juvenile.
- Macomb Circuit Court: Co-chairing a felony domestic violence case and preparing a brief to facilitate cross examination of the alleged victim. Prosecutor dropped the felony on the date of trial and client received a light sentence of probation and avoided a felony conviction.
- Clinton Township: Getting a retail fraud reduced to a misdemeanor “disorderly conduct” for a client with a habitual larceny record.
- Roseville: Obtaining a deviation to get a felony drug charge dropped and reduced to a misdemeanor saving the client from losing his important rights to possess firearms.
J.D., Wayne State University Law School, 2017
President – Homeless Not Helpless
Secretary – Black Law Students Association
Student Governor- Class of 2017
Information Technician – Arthur Neef Law Library
Social Relations and Policy, James Madison College at Michigan State University, 2014
Neighborhood East Liaison - Associated Students of Michigan State University
Philanthropy Chair – Sigma Nu
Judiciary Executive – Sigma Nu
Criminal Defense Attorneys of Michigan
Member Since: 2018
Macomb County Bar Association
Member Since: 2018
- “I received the best outcome I could have gotten and I could not be more relieved and impressed on the dedication he had.”
- Joe represented me today in Clinton Township for my retail fraud case. I didn’t know what to expect because I had a prior record. Somehow, Joe negotiated with the prosecutor to get my retail fraud charge dismissed and put me on non reporting probation. The judge said it feels like Christmas in July! Abdo Law is second to none and they did an amazing job guiding me through the criminal justice system
- Joe is the best. He represented me for my 2nd DUI. I actually had a better outcome on my second DUI then my first . He went above and beyond to make sure that everything was fair and help me progress in my life. If you need a good lawyer you should call Joe at ABDO!
- Hands down the best law firm around! Cy, Matt, and Joe went to bat for me when I was facing a 14 year felony and got it reduced to a misdemeanor with no jail time and only fines. I am so thankful I contacted them first. I can never thank them enough.
- ABDO LAW gets deals that nobody else can. Whether a traffic ticket or criminal case, these guys make it happen. Today, Joe represented me in Shelby Township and got me the best deal possible. Even the judge told me that Joe worked out the best deal possible. I’ll be recommending ABDO LAW to everyone!
- “Campbell truly connected with me”
- “Very grateful for his help and guidance.”
Adults, Juveniles, First Time Offenders, Habitual Offenders, Out-of-State Residents and Canadians.
HYTA Law in Michigan: Everything Your Need to Know, Joseph A. Campbell, Michigan Criminal Lawyer Blog, May 14th, 2018
Under MI Law Your Child Can Be Charged with Possession of Marijuana As A Passenger In A Vehicle Even If The Marijuana Belongs To Someone Else, Michigan Criminal Lawyer Blog, May 31st, 2018
Hiring a Lawyer to Fight Your Traffic Ticket: A Wise Long-term Investment, Michigan Criminal Lawyer Blog, June 12th, 2018
Arthur Neef Law Library of Wayne State University Law School Information Technician
Conducted legal research for indigent patrons on issues including but not limited to determining section 8 eligibility, interpreting Michigan Court Rules for case preparation, and explaining patrons’ due process rights.
Founder of Greater Detroit Coalition, a nonprofit organization based out of Detroit’s Lafayette Park neighborhood with a mission of uniting and empowering Metro Detroit youth to achieve their dreams.