Matthew S. Abdo
‘Everything you want in a lawyer.’
- Client Testimonial, click for more below
Most lawyers can’t wait to talk about themselves, Matt is much more interested in you. The prospect of being accused or charged with a crime can be overwhelming and confusing. Going up against the police, prosecutor, and courts may seem like all odds are against you. Having someone that will fight for you and work with you like Matt means you can breathe easy and KNOW he has your back. Central to Matt’s style of practice is building trust with clients, because Abdo Law puts your best interest first.
Matt has specialized in criminal law his entire career. Matt doesn’t split his time between other practice areas, he is 110% focused on criminal advocacy. Matt is a dedicated criminal defense attorney, not a general practitioner. Matt was raised and mentored by one of the state’s leaders in the field, Cy Abdo, his father. In 2010, Matt and Cy formed the Abdo Law Firm. Matt doesn’t believe in hanging plaques in his office, but if you’re curious about his accolades he graduated top of his law class on an academic scholarship.
Matt’s more notable industry distinction includes the following:
- 10/10 Top Attorney, Superb Rating on AVVO
- 2016 Super Lawyers Top 2.5 % of Profession
- 2017 Super Lawyers Top 2.5 % of Profession
- 2018 Super Lawyers Top 2.5 % of Profession
- Over 100 PERFECT client reviews on Google, Facebook, Avvo, & Yelp
Experience? How does nearly 5,000 appearances in under 10 years of practice sound for experience? And, up until late in 2018, Matt had never missed one (no one’s perfect, you know).
Matt has worked expansively on criminal matters. If your case is a jury trial or fighting for a reduced sentence, Matt’s done it. Whether it be a DUI, driving under the influence of drugs, assault, controlled substance crime, CSC, theft case, prescription pill charge, fraud, or criminal driving issue - Matt’s done it. Tight deadlines, aggressive prosecution, capital crimes - Matt’s done it.
Moreover, Matt runs Abdo Law’s drivers license practice. At the tail end of criminal trouble involving drinking and driving, many clients are left without wheels to get around the Motor City. Since he has taken leadership of this specialization, Abdo Law gets more than 90% of its license clients back on the road.
In addition, with the help of Abdo Law’s newest partner Joey Justice, Matt is expanding his Firm’s litigation presence. Matt & Joey run “war room sessions” with clients who need attorneys to FIGHT their case. Regardless if it’s a Tuesday evening or Saturday morning, when a case needs fighting, they don’t aim for competence, they fight for the WIN. Furthermore, Abdo Law boasts jury trial experience and over 50 serious assaults KICKED out of court since 2015. Innocent? We believe you, and we’re ready to fight.
Abdo Law is based out of Clinton Township in the heart of Macomb County, where Matt grew up. “Attorney of record Matthew Abdo, P75058” is a regular on all of Macomb’s Circuit and District dockets. For Matt, the old adage “a good professional can work anywhere” rings true. Whether it be close to home in Downtown, Matt has practiced everywhere between the banks of the Detroit River and shores of Port Huron. And as it relates to the latter, Abdo Law does some of their best work in St. Clair County.
Matthew’s notable outcomes on cases:
- DUI DISMISSED: Matt fought the case’s traffic issues and SFSTs, dismissed on trial date (broad experience getting OWIs dismissed)
- VEHICLE CAUSING DEATH, NOT GUILTY AT JURY TRIAL: Client innocent, argued no intent to jury, deliberated overnight, came back NOT GUILTY (jury trial background in District and Circuit Court)
- FULL LICENSE RESTORED: Client innocent, never used alcohol, Matt fought and not just got a restricted but a FULL license for client (91% win rate for DLAD cases)
- TERRORISM, NO RECORD, NO JAIL TIME: Case received media attention, client also on probation, completed both cases without client serving a day in jail or ending up with a record (know-how for cases involving serious sentences, media, multiple jurisdictions, and sensitive issues)
- ASSAULT, NOT GUILTY: Client innocent, Matt refused to back down, finder of fact found NOT GUILTY based on lack of intent (Abdo Law fights the case, not the clients, hundreds of cases with clients proclaiming innocence and working for a dismissal, strategizing for trial, or fighting for a key reduction)
- AUTOMOBILE THEFT, DISMISSED: Client innocent, mistaken identity. Phone GPS records showed it was impossible for client to have been in place where crime was committed, CASE DISMISSED at Preliminary Exam (deft skill for cases with technical evidence and voluminous discovery)
- FELONY ASSAULT, DISMISSED, DISORDERLY, NO RECORD: Evidence lacked probable cause that client perpetrated the charge. Facing 10 years in prison, Matt poked holes in the prosecution’s case, reduced to 90 day Disorderly misdemeanor and dismissed after 3 months (proficiency in cases involving complex arguments of law)
Below is the Abdo Law’s recent track record of proven consistent results. When you hire Abdo Law you hire a team, and Matt’s work on thousands of cases is reflected in these stats:
- 98% of clients charged with misdemeanors don't serve a single day in jail
- 96% of clients charged with DUI 1st don't serve a single day in jail
- 90% of clients charged with drug crimes result in no conviction on their record
- 90% of clients charged with misdemeanor assault result in no conviction on their record
- 91% of charged with misdemeanor retail fraud result in no conviction on their record
- 93% of clients charged with a felony don't serve a single day in jail
- 50+ assault charges DISMISSED since 2015
J.D., Michigan State University College of Law, 2010
Magna Cum Laude
B.A., Michigan State University, 2006
- 2010 - 2015, THOUSANDS of criminal appearances completed successfully
- 2010 - 2015, HUNDREDS of license restorations granted
- 2015, Dismissal, 10 year assault felony
- 2015, Dismissal, 10 year assault felony
- 2015, Dismissal, possession of marijuana
- 2015, Dismissal, domestic violence
- 2015, Dismissal, domestic violence
- 2015, Dismissal, 5 year domestic violence felony
- 2015, Dismiss felony assault with a deadly weapon, misdemeanor to dismissed upon compliance, no jail
- 2015, Full license granted, DLAD hearing
- 2015, Dismissal, OWI
- 2015, Dismissal, leaving the scene of a property damage accident
- 2015, HYTA status (dismissal upon compliance), co-defendants each with 4 counts of felonies for malicious destruction of property, no jail
- 2015, Dismissal, retail fraud
- 2014, deferred sentence for life felony
- 2014, Dismiss felony, embezzlement greater than $20,000, misdemeanor, no jail
- 2014, Not guilty trial verdict, assault
- 2013, Not guilty trial verdict, assault
- 2013, Dismissal, OWI
- 2013, HYTA status (dismissal upon compliance), multiple home invasion felonies, no jail
- 2013, HYTA status (dismissal upon compliance) and no jail for an individual charged with 20 year terrorism offense
- 2013, Dismissal, domestic violence
- 2013, Not guilty jury verdict, negligent homicide case
- 2013, Appeal to Circuit Court, Case Overturned and license granted
- 2012, Not guilty trial verdict, negligence case
- 2012, Dismissal of dog bite case
- 2012, HYTA for client charged with food poisoning of teacher, 10 year felony
- 2011, Dismissal of marijuana charges
- 2011, Dismissal of felony assault with intent to murder
- 2016, Super Lawyers Rising Star
- 2010, Michigan State University College of Law, Juris Doctor Magna Cum Laude
- 2007, Michigan State University, Bachelor of Arts with Honors
- 2015, Clients Choice Award, AVVO
- 2015, Excellent – Featured Criminal Attorney, AVVO
- 2015, Nation’s Top 1%, The National Association of Distinguished Counsel
- 2014, Top 40 Under 40, National Trial Lawyers
- 2014, Top Contributor, AVVO
- 2012, Clients Choice Award, AVVO
- 2010, Deans List, Michigan State University College of Law
- 2009, Deans List, Michigan State University College of Law
- 2008, Deans List, Michigan State University College of Law
- 2006, Deans List, Michigan State University
- 2005, Deans List, Michigan State University
- 2004, Deans List, Michigan State University
- 2003, Deans List, Michigan State University
- 2010 - Present, State Bar of Michigan
- 2010 - Present, Macomb County Bar Association
- 2015, SADO - Criminal Defense Resource Center
- 2015, Criminal Defense Attorneys of Michigan
- 2015, Michigan Association of OWI Attorneys
- 2015, Committee – Criminal Law, Macomb County Bar
- 2015, Section Member General Practice, State Bar of Michigan
- 2015, Section Member Administrative and Regulatory Law, State Bar of Michigan
- 2015, Member, National Association of Distinguished Counsel
- 2014-2015, Member, National Trial Lawyers Association
- 2011- Present, Section Member Criminal Law, State Bar of Michigan
- 2011, Section Member Young Lawyers Association, State Bar of Michigan
- 2011-2012, Member, American Bar Association
- 2009-2010, Editor, Journal of Business & Securities Law
- Exceeding expectations. You and your father’s ability to make a very unpleasant and nerve racking situation into a workable solution was greatly appreciated.
- He has the ability to be persuasive without being argumentative or abrasive. His presentation is precise and professional. His appearance reflects confidence.
- He kept me well informed every step of the way and ultimately got all charges dismissed!!! I needed a hardworking and trustworthy attorney to deliver and Matt Abdo was there for me!
- I would give this man more than 5 stars if I could. Being a lawyer for only 4 years, this young man's character automatically attracts respect in the court room by judges and fellow lawyers.
- I never felt like Matthew was just doing his job, either. He treated me as an equal and carried a sense of compassion about him. I am certain if not for him and the Abdo Law Firm, my situation would be much worse.
- Matt Abdo and Abdo Law Firm is the best in Macomb County
- I was shocked to see that I got an email response back before I could go onto the next possible law firm questionnaire.
- Matt is Knowledgeable, Matt will fight, and Matt will get the results that you need!
- Get it right and keep it tight The Abdo Law firm is #1
- MOST CREATIVE, TENACIOUS AND DEDICATED LAWYER. I would highly recommend Matthew Abdo. He instantly eased my concerns when I called him about my case.
- If you're in need help, this should be the first number you call!
- Great Attorney!! We were scared to death about my going to jail. We would have lost our house and so much more. Until we talked to the Abdo Law Firm.
- Great lawyer = Great outcome. After staying on top of everything and keeping me informed and updated on what was going on, my 10 year felony was reduced to a misdemeanor of disorderly conduct
Matthew is an exceptional lawyer and human being who values his relationships with his clients and is held in high esteem amongst his peers.